Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

GOAL! The Perfect Soccer Party for an 8 Year Old


I have memories of sitting with my Grandfather in his living room watching the World Cup, at the edge of my seat as the final game was decided on penalty kicks.  Don’t ask what year -  I can safely tell you it was a looooong time ago, yet I will never forget that special time with him. 

Now many years later, I had the same kind of excitement planning this very special soccer party for an amazing kid.  I know all kids are amazing, but this young man is well, amazingly exceptional.  He is kind, gentle, generous and beyond smart and definitely a kid that makes the most of life. 

You can’t stump this kid on anything soccer, national flags or geography related.  Trust me I’ve tried.  I would put my money on him for any geography bee against any world leader or scholar – any day. Soccer is no different, so his birthday party had to incorporate both.  The challenge was how do you ensure that Christopher will love his party and that his 8 year old guests will also have a thrilling experience?  The Answer:  A real soccer match between two nations: Germany vs. England.  One of the greatest soccer rivalries in history.  As it turned out, this was perhaps also the greatest Soccer Party ever.


As the kids arrived at the Boston Sports Club in Wellesley, they each received a t-shirt with the flag of the country they would represent in this great soccer match and after suiting up, it was clear that the rivalry would continue here.  With the sound of the whistle a very fun, yet intense game began. 


These kids played their heart out.  At the end of the first half, Germany lead 2 – 0. 

All that playing made for very hungry little players, so it was pizza time and to show just how serious these kids were about the game, they chose to sit on opposite sides of the table.  Each kid also chose a flag from all over the world that decorated the table.  




The second half saw equally intense and fun soccer play.  England made a come back by scoring a goal, but at the end it was Germany 5 – 1! 

No one was upset though because they knew the end of the game meant that the Sweet Table was now open!  Now before the kids get to it, let me just tell you about THIS Sweet Table. 


This has been one of my favorite sweet tables. Ever. To go along with the Germany vs. England soccer match, Absolutely Fabulous Affairs designed an amazing spread that took the rivalry one step further.  The table was split down the middle with opposing sides represented by sweets in the colors of the team flags.  The center of the table showcased this amazing soccer ball cake!   








OK – Back to the kids.  When they arrived at the now opened table that they had been looking at throughout the party, it was complete devastation!   They all filled their treat bags to the rim within seconds.  Proof that to an 8 year old, a sweet table IS perhaps one of the greatest joys.  







I know it was a success by many measures, but mostly by Christopher telling me so.  It was also nice to hear from one of the referees from the Boston Sports Club that “This was the best party I have seen and I have been doing this for 6 years.”  I was honored to hear that! 








No comments:

Post a Comment